Friday, March 12, 2010

to remember always

A week before her birthday (actually less than a week), C started thinking that she might want to get her ears pierced. I'm not sure why she thought of it. We were in the van on the way to Princess Pack when I mentioned that I'd been so busy all day that I hadn't remembered to put my earrings in.
"I'm thinking that maybe I might want to get my ears pierced..." is what I heard from behind me.
"Really?" I had never heard either of them mention such an idea before.
"Maybe. Do you M.?"
"I don't know. Maybe."
It went on from there and they eventually determined "I'll do it, if you'll do it."

I LOVE their relationship. Sisterhood is amazing. A best friend for life. (that is what I pray and hope for)

All that was left was to convince daddy and me. But mostly daddy. It was a hard sell. The fact that C decided she wanted to get them pierced on her "golden birthday so she'd remember it always" helped push us a bit. And we gave in.

We went to the mall and after inquiring in 2 separate stores about what they charged, we had nearly given up the idea. They wanted $26-$42 depending on the earrings. There was no way we were going to pay it. But we kept walking the mall. M spotted a sign at one of the kiosks, the Piercing Pagoda, that said Free Ear Piercing. I asked the lady behind the counter about it and she said, " It's free with the purchase of the earrings on this rack." I thought for sure they'd range from $26-$42. But no. The smallest and cheapest was $10. Now this was something to consider. We walked away and all sat on a bench to talk it over one more time. Daddy finally gave the final OK and we asked who would go first.

M said sweetly, "C, it's your birthday. You decide."

C quickly responded with, "You go first."

And she did. She was so brave. They were both very brave.

And I'm so very proud of them. And I think they'll both remember C's golden birthday.

newly pierced ears and five guys